Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Ruched Maternity Shirt - Megan Nielsen

This is enough evidence to put me over the top. I am beyond domestic. My own siblings do not know me. I am a strange visitor who sweats a lot.

I bought a 4-pack of patterns a few months ago in order to make some maternity clothes. From Megan Nielsen patterns http://megannielsen.com/collections/all-products/products/maternity-survival-pack. This review is for the ruched maternity shirt, MN1006.

(picture taken 2 months ago)

This pattern turned out well, but the fabric I ordered from fabric.com turned out to be way sheer. I read on the diymaternity.com site (also run by Megan Nielsen) that her go-to fabric is this bamboo jersey stuff, but I ordered it and it was so sheer I thought I needed to wear a tank top under the shirt. So that's what I'm wearing in the picture. The fabric was also very thin and difficult to use a twin needle on, so the neckline isn't as great as other stuff I've made with medium weight jersey fabric. This top was also quite low cut, so after I cut it out I pulled the shoulders up at least an inch, maybe two, which in turn made the top not quite as long.

I wanted to make a dress based on this pattern, but I've run out of time and have to pack up my sewing closet for the move to wisconsin (loading the truck in one week!) so I don't know if it is going to happen. I was going to use this tutorial but with sleeves and a fuller skirt.


No comments:

So long, and thanks for all the fish.