Friday, December 03, 2010

fear of public speaking

I hate public speaking. I can guarantee that

1) I will never ever become a motivational speaker
2) I will never ever volunteer to speak in church
3) I will always make sure my husband speaks after me so he can use up extra time (speaking thrills him..I can't understand this, but I accept. Gratefully)

I also hate giving presentations. I can't make coherent sentences on the fly. I say things like, "hi welcome to i can has cheezburger presentation this is laura"

Or rather I just did. Good thing I was just practicing.

I have to practice presentations like 10 times minimum. Around time 4 or 5 I start to develop a pattern of phrases and transitions that sound semi-intelligent, so repeat them in the next practice runs. Once everything I am saying is a semi-intelligent repeat of something I said in a previous run, then I know I am safe. Until next time, that is.

3 comments:

Kelly Libatique said...

Laura,

Are you one of those who, at a funeral, you'd rather be in the casket than giving the eulogy? :)

Anyone can learn simple techniques on how to prepare, even if quickly, and then how to deliver and look as confident as an old pro.

A lot of it has to do with movement, eye contact, and simply looking confident. You can fool anyone, really.

If you have to speak, prepare by creating 2 or 3 main points, then make them in the form of statements that are concentrated and short. Then back the main points with stories. People love stories. Real life stories give you instant credibility and are easy to retell to an audience naturally. Never memorize, just talk from your thoughts and from your heart. And don't be afraid to pause for a moment and gather your thoughts. No need at all to ramble or rush.

For your voice, talk loud and with energy. Louder than normal. Express emotion and feelings with your voice and end your sentences at a lower pitch than the start.

Breath deep and relax. Believe it or not, your audience wants you to succeed.


Google: "Divine Knowledge Transfer"
www.libatique.com

LinWots said...

You are not alone. I am afraid of it too! :)

sara.hamitouche said...

I have a lot of hang-ups during my speeches.You are not alone but we have to fight it if we want to succeed.

So long, and thanks for all the fish.