Friday, June 26, 2009

the dismal pianist

Something happened last Sunday that I never thought possible.

I was the best pianist available to play in primary!!!!! (Let us recall that my talent, notwithstanding the 10 years of piano lessons I had (and rarely practiced), remains small. I can't play hymns unless I practice every day for 3 months and memorize where my hands go.) So, being the "best" available isn't saying much!

Basically, nobody in my ward plays the piano. That is, except for a couple teenagers, a couple missionaries, and 3 or 4 (white, non-Hispanic) people (using politically correct census terminology) that have other callings. Music is just not a part of Hispanic culture. There is no choir either. Singing is not their strong point..but they sure try!

So usually someone from the singles ward comes to play the piano during primary, but they weren't there. And the missionaries weren't either. There was NOBODY. We sang one song A Capella (two P's or one?), and then I realized there was finally a need for my minuscule talent! I could play the melody. So I offered to play one hand, one note at a time. And I did:)

I noticed that most of the songs we sang had flats in the Children's Songbook. Why is that? Why are there no sharps?

Hurray! I played the piano in church! And I even remember the order of flats. And the circle of fifths. :)

1 comment:

Rebecca said...

Excellent! I bet they were grateful to have you there. There ARE songs with sharps; you just have to hunt for them. For some reason, most amateur pianists feel more comfortable with flats - but no more than 3. Clive Romney uses 6 flats in a key change in a song we're doing now. G FLAT MAJOR - ugh! It's my worst key, so now I'll have to practice. :)

So long, and thanks for all the fish.