Monday, January 18, 2010

wedding follow up: vendors & venues-- part 4


Continuing from part 3...
----

Hair can be really tricky. It was especially tricky for me because I'd been wearing my hair really short for several years and had just gotten it cut really short again the month before getting engaged. (See below--no ring yet!)

Aside: I've let it go longer lately only because it is expensive to maintain (at least when you pay what I do for a cut!).

I wanted my hair to look longer at the wedding, so I let it grow for 6 months without trimming it. But I had no idea who to have style my hair. I'd been living in California for 4 years and didn't have any great recommendations for a stylist in Utah. That is, until I asked my amazing friend Jillian (who now has an awesome B&B in Oregon!). She recommended Sean at Aveda Landis. He was AMAZING! Thank you Jillian!

Sean wanted me to come in for a trial run so he could get a feel for my hair and what we would do. So I went in two days before the wedding and was there for about 30 minutes. He didn't even charge me for the trial! Also, he had no problem with an 8 am hair appointment the day of the wedding--in fact he was the one to suggest starting so early! (I'd originally suggested 8:30 am, and I was supposed to get the Salt Lake temple by 10:15 am.)

The early time turned out to be really helpful since I needed all the extra time to get to the temple and park. I was by myself that morning trying to carry my dress, shoes, temple bag, and purse in one trip. I'd gotten all the way out of the parking lot before I remembered to go back for something else!

He did a fantastic job. Thanks Sean!



------
Make up artist: ME.
I'm not a pro, but didn't want to bother with a make up artist. I just wanted to look normal. Wearing ANY make up at all was a pretty big deal for me anyway. (Especially considering that I haven't worn any make up since the wedding day! Well...I did wear mascara for a family picture recently.)
I was short on time before the wedding ceremony so ended up getting married sans make up. But I liked it that way. I got married in a simple temple dress, so I thought it was fitting. However, everyone who was waiting outside after the wedding had to wait not only for me to change into a different dress, but also to put make up on. AND sunscreen! I was so not getting sunburned. Also, I had a little mishap with the sunscreen...which required some fancy footwork on my mom's part. Sorry for making everyone wait forever!
---
To be continued in part 5...the honeymoon!

1 comment:

Apothecary Inn said...

Always happy to help, Sunshine! You looked GORGEOUS for your wedding!! :)

So long, and thanks for all the fish.